What really is a kiosk mode? How to configure a computer kiosk access mode in Windows 8.1? These are the questions which I will try to answer in this article.
Windows 8.1 includes a new feature called the Assigned Access, which was designed specifically to enable administrators to quickly create an account with access to a single application with Modern UI.
Kiosk PC is a computer operating mode used for the purpose of granting access only to a limited range of applications, or only to a single application without compromising the user to fight with all the complexities of the Windows 8.1 operating system. This is particularly important for pro-active measures to prevent harmful activities like changing the configuration or malware infection.
Assigned Access in Windows 8.1 allows you to easily configure a local account, so that when users log on, they will be able to access the application from the Modern UI interface assigned specifically to them and not be able to open File Explorer, control panel, desktop or Task Manager.
Before we begin, we need to have an account on the local computer prepared for Assigned Access. This should be a standard user account, that is not a member of the local Administrators group and you should log on to this account, at least once, and if necessary install this application from the Modern UI interface to which you want to grant access. If you skip the last step you can choose only one of the pre-installed Microsoft applications that are shipped with Windows 8.1 "out of box ".
And now, how the whole process look like in practice :
- Log on to Windows 8.1 with a local administrator account.
- On the Start screen, or on the desktop, press the Windows key + C to pop-up side ribbon.
- Click the Settings button on the ribbon.
- At the bottom of the Settings window, click Change settings of your computer.
- On the left side of the computer settings, click Accounts.
- In the Accounts dialog box, click Other accounts in the left pane.
Let's say that we have already set up a local user account named User so that we will use it for our purpose.
- Click Create Account Assigned Access to the right of the Accounts dialog box.
- In the Assigned Access dialog box, click Select an account.
- Select the desired account.
- In the dialog box, click Assigned Access and select the application to which the account should have access.
- Now click on the arrow in the upper left corner of the Assigned Access or simply return to the desktop.
While the instructions in the dialog box Assigned Access says that you must restart your computer after this procedure for the new settings to take effect in my experience it is enough to logoff and login.