Windows 8.1 was released both in digital form as well as in downloadable ISO file or as well as in program in Windows Market as well as in the form of physical DVD media.
Apparently it is a step towards clients, and present a new method for the implementation of new versions operating system, but there is a small percentage of machines for which all these methods are notproper. And so the only reasonable solution is to install Windows 8.1 from USB 8.1.
As an example we might see Windows 8 Enterprise, we are not able to update to version 8.1 by conventional methods.
There are a number of advantages in updateing version of the system by using a USB stick. Firstly, it is compatible with any device, and secondly we do not need to have the DVD player and the third it is easier to store and carry with you. USB stick can also be faster than DVD. In addition, compared to the ISO file that can be used practically only under Windows, USB memory can be used without installing additional software on the device.
To create a bootable USB stick with Windows 8.1 will need:
- 4GB or larger USB flash drive;
- DVD or ISO file with Windows 8.1 \and product key or access to the KMS server;
- The device with Windows.
Now a small note, if you have the product key of Windows 8 you can download the ISO file of Windows 8.1 directly from Microsoft's servers and create a bootable USB memory stick.
Please note that the default partition in Windows is usually usually C:\ and must have at least 5GB of free space. We must therefore perform the following steps, assuming that the image of the system was downloaded before:
- Open the command prompt.
- Type "diskpart" to open the disk partitioning software. We accept the UAC prompt if pops up.
- Insert the USB flash drive to USB port.
- Type "list disk". The program will show you a list of all physical disks ( HDD, SSD , USB, etc. ), which are connected.
- We identify the disk number of our USB drive (can be recognized by looking at the column capacity) and type "select disk X" where "X" is the number of your USB flash drive.
- Type "clean". This will erase the contents of a USB drive!
- Type "create partition primary". This command will create a primary partition on the USB stick.
- Type "select partition 1". This command selects the newly created partition.
- Type "active". The partition becomes active.
- Type "format fs = ntfs quick". This command formats the partition as NTFS.
- Type "assign" to assign a drive letter to our USB stick, to show it in Windows Explorer.
- Copy the contents of a DVD or ISO file with Windows 8.1 on USB pendirve.
- And now we can to do update our Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and more without loss of data or settings.